Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Political rumors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Political rumors

    Since I know we have some posters on here who tend to sway towards the Republican side, I have had a few discussions lately with some people from both sides of the old political world and wondering what some of you all think (maybe not just the Republicans, but particularly them)

    1)Kilgore cost himself the election. Jerry had the election won. A month or more ago, it was probably in the bag, but the overwhelming negative views on his campaign ads and his performances in the debates hurt him and probably took a 5-7% win and turned it into a loss.

    2)The some of the ones who did his campaign ads (particularly the Hitler reference) was the same group that did the Bush ads attacking John Kerry (the Vietnam ones).

    Now I can believe the first point, because like I said, the negative nature and lack of answers and only attacks caused me to change my vote, because I really wanted to vote for someone from this area (a governor from this area while it may not have changed a thing, was worth the chance), but the second one, well if thats true, someone should smack whomever was in charge of his campaign. When Dubya and company made those ads (or endorsed them, influenced them, whatever the respective case was), that was when Kerry was able to gain the most ground and pulled even with Bush in most polls.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    I think the Jerry Kilgore campaign also made a mistake by having a last minute Rep rally with Bush...when Bush's approval rating is so low at that present time.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    Another good point. I forgot to question that one. I'm not trying to GOP Bash. Like I said, I love politics, but I hate political crap (which is hard to explain). I love the ideas and what people try to use/exploit/attack but seldom do I love what most do/use.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    I agree that the negative ads definitely hurt him. Kaine had negative ads also, but Jerry's just went overboard. There were just too many.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    First, the negative ads did put the kibosh on him in my opinion. I don't feel like Bush's presence at the end had much of an effect either way. People at that point either was voting Kaine, Kilgore, or should realize that Bush is just the top person at the Republican party, so therefore he is there for support.

    I am not sure about the group who "helped" Kilgore setup his ad campaign, but they sure done a bang up job! There are a couple of things that can be said about the governers race.

    Warner's popularity, and Kilgore's campaign won the election for Kaine. Kaine didn't do squat to win it, and didn't end up having to.

    Kilgore did have it all but won, but since he did not take charge in his campaign, it cost him the governor's seat. That is my take at least.

    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    I'm curious, I figure there is something out there that lists 'costs'. Would be curious if the same advertising group or whatever shows up on both of their campaigns, if so, someone needs to smack whomever suggested them.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    I agree with 1instripes...Kilgore done a very poor job during the campaign and has no one to blame but himself. I think having Bush come in had no negative affect whatsoever because approval ratings don't necessarily a reflection on how individuals will actually vote. I think most everyone who voted for Bush even if they haven't approved of the job he has done in his 2nd term would vote for him again if they had it to do over again primarily because Kerry was his opponent and I haven't spoken to any Republicans or even moderates who would have even considered swinging over and voting for the guy. He was purely a left wing candidate and pretty much appealed to that constituency only.

    Kilgore had a great chance to be governor but like I said did a terrible job managing his campaign and would have lost by a landslide had Kaine been a very strong candidate like say Mark Warner who was pretty much the only thing he had going for his campaign as well.

  8. #8
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Political rumors

    Like i have said. I work out of the area alot and Roanoke East, the newspapers eat it up.
    That is where i got the line i used, Kaine beat the liar.
    Most papers east of Roanoke proclaimed Kilgores attacks as lies and mistruths about Kaine.
    Warner's revamping of VA. economic situation helped tremendously.
    3rd best run or managed state in the US at one time?
    In the end. All Kaine had to do was hope that Central VA. bought the whole package and they did.
    I don't know who put the campaign together, but i think if i was in the campaign, i would of questioned a few of the antics.
    The last two months really hurt the Kilgore campaign.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member gcdevil22's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2004
    Posts
    5,129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    the debates cost him the election, plain and simple...he got dominated...not by Kaine, but by Russert
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Political rumors

    Yeah, Russert definitely pulled it over on him, and made Jerry put his foot in his mouth. But even after the debates, he still had a slight advantage. His horribly negative adds, and lack of a stand on certain topics cost him in the end though.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •